A brown field project that increased the production of Mumias Sugar factory capacity from 340 tons of cane to 380 tons of cane produced per hour.
The works included:
- Installation of a 4,000m2 Kestner type Evaporator, the largest ever installed in Kenya.
- Supply and installation of Pressure vessels including 345m3 Continuous Vertical Crystallizer and 1,100m2 Massecuite Re-heater.
- Installation of 4 Nos. BMA Type “A” Sugar Centrifugal Station with an additional provision of a future 5th Centrifugal.
- Electrical and instrumentation works including installation of 3.3 KVA Transformer and Switch gears.
- Civil and building works including 384 m of piles for foundation works.
- Mechanical and structural steel erection on site.
H. Young were responsible for the complete detailed design, supply, installation and commissioning of the Electrical and Instrumentation for the 380 TCH Expansion project which included New A Centrifugals, Vertical Crystallizer, Re-Heater and Vacuum Pan.
The Electrical works included included:
- 1600kVA 11/0.415kV transformer, 3.3kV Switchgear upgrade and cabling
- 415V M.C.C. for all the pumps, conveyors, automatic valves and equipment. The M.C.C. consisted of 45
- No. Starters with various types of starters such as Soft Starters and variable speed drives
- All Field Instrumentation and Junction boxes consisting of temperature, flow, level and pressure transmitters
- All power, control and instrumentation cabling and cable ladder
- Earthing and Lightning protection of buildings and plant
- Plant lighting and Small power