Upgrading to Bitumen Standards and Maintenance of Gatundu RWC 462
KENYA RURAL ROADS AUTHORITY
BARABARA PLAZA, MAZAO ROAD
P O BOX 48151 – 00100 NAIROBI, KENYA
(US$ 33,398,610.59) (€ 27,278,224.79)
Major works executed comprised mainly of Construction of 74.8 km including laying 50mm thick Asphalt Concrete type 1 wearing course on the Gatundu Mukinye Juja section (16.5km) and Double Surfacing Dressing finish on the remainder 58.3 km
- Construction of 175mm natural material gravel subbase of CBR 30% (CIG30) on carriageway and shoulders.
- Provision of 150mm cement improved material for base (CBR 160%) on carriageway and shoulders.
- Laying of 50mm thick Asphalt Concrete Type I Wearing Course on carriageway and shoulders.
Gatundu–Gitati-ini–Karinga, Ritho– Kagumoini – Ituru – Gatundu Mukinye – Wamwangi, Kangema – Karatu, Kimanga – Kahunguini, Kahunguini – Gathage, Magomano – Gaithece – Ituru, Gatitu-Gitare-Gitwe, Kiamwangi-Muhoho-Kaguyi sections
- Provision of 175mm Natural Gravel Material of CBR 30% for sub-base to a finished thickness of 150mm or as instructed by the Engineer. On shoulders and widenings.
- Provision of 150mm cement improved material for base (CBR >160%) to a finished thickness of 150mm or as instructed by the Engineer. On shoulders and widenings.
- Provision of surface dressing of first seal using 14/20 chippings on the carriage-way and shoulders
- Provision of surface dressing of second seal using 6/10mm chippings on the carriage-way andshoulders.
- The carriageway shall be 6.0m wide with shoulders (0.5m wide shoulders both sides) constructed with the material and thickness for sub-base and base as above.
- Construction of standard pipe culverts and the improvement of other drainage and soil erosion protection works
- Length of road – 75 km
- Earthworks – 547,500 m3;
- Improved subbase & base – 2,137 m3
- Laying of DBM & Asphalt courses – 5,700 m3;
- Laying of surface dressing = 10,000 m3
- Concrete Works – 4,500 m3